Grandparents Can Seek Custody And Visitation In Limited Situations

Grandparents play an important role in the lives of children. They provide unconditional love, encourage healthy development and help kids understand their cultural heritage. Grandparents who want to enforce visitation or need to establish legal guardianship must understand that their rights are limited in Texas. It is crucial to have a knowledgeable lawyer guide you through the process.

If you want to obtain custody or enforce visitation in Tarrant County, Hoppes & Cutrer can help you. We are certified as experts in family law in Texas, which means we can give you straightforward advice about your options and your chance at success.

Understanding Grandparent's Rights In Texas

Although grandparents' rights are limited, they can seek custody or visitation when it is in the best interest of the child. Under Texas law, a grandparent can seek custody or visitation if the following circumstances exist:

  • Divorce: Divorce can be emotional, and in some cases parents may prevent their children from spending time with members of their ex-spouse's family.
  • Abuse or neglect: Grandparents seek custody in situations in which a parent has abused or neglected the child.
  • Incarceration, incompetence or death: When a parent is unable to care for a child because they have been incarcerated, are incapacitated due to an accident or have died, grandparents can seek temporary or permanent custody of a child.
  • Termination of parental rights: Texas Child Protective Services may step in to a situation in which a parent is unable to care for their child and terminate parental rights. In these cases, grandparents may choose to establish legal rights and care for the child.
  • Residency of six months or greater: An increasing number of children are living with their grandparents in Texas. When the child has lived with a grandparent for a minimum of six continuous months, the grandparent can move to legally secure the arrangement.

Get Expert Advice From Our Attorneys

If you would like to speak with one of our attorneys about your rights to custody or visitation, please schedule a consultation. Call our office in Hurst at 817-864-8594 or send us your information, and we will return your message promptly.