Hoppes & Cutrer, LLC
Call today to schedule a

What You Need To Know About Your Rights If Your Ex-spouse Dies.

It is tragic when parent dies, even if that parent is your ex-spouse. Loosing a parent can be very difficult for the children and they will need a lot of support and understanding. But there are some legal issues that you need to be aware of if you live in Texas:

1. In Texas if one parent dies, the other parent will be entitled to custody of the child.
2. The deceased ex-spouse's parents have the right to file a lawsuit asking that they be allowed visitation with the child.
3. If the deceased parent died while the child is still entitled to child support, the surviving ex-spouse is entitled to a judgment for all the future child support payments that would be due. Once judgment for the unpaid child support has been entered, the surviving ex-spouse can make a claim against the deceased spouse's estate for the entire amount of the judgment.

Hoppes and Cutrer, LLC is ready to take immediate action to help families maintain the well-being of a child and the surviving parent in the face of such a tragic loss.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
FindLaw Network Get Professional Legal help Now

Get Professional Legal Help Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Hoppes & Cutrer, LLC
959 W. Glade Rd
Hurst, TX 76054

Hurst Law Office Map